Well, that was… interesting.
Earlier today I effectively killed newpageone.com again while trying to fix it. Here’s a short rundown of what happened:
- Noticed that comments had disappeared from the site and were no longer coming in.
- Looked up documentation on WordPress sites and tried to solve the problem.
- WordPress Codex made it apparent that I needed to repair my databases, but I did not have the tools to do such a thing installed on my server.
- Accidentally installed PHP/database tools in the directory where I have my blog set up.
- Call Yahoo support straight away and talk with Jason for two hours.
- Fix comment problem while creating a whole new one, essentially isolating the front page from the rest of the site.
- Jason technically can’t give me WordPress support, so he leaves me with suggestions and I go to it on my own.
- I ignore all of the new database information I’ve just learned and just export/import XML of all of my posts like I did the last time the site went down. I do this after deactivating my WordPress blog, starting a new one, and importing a nice big XML file with all of the site’s previous information.
- Plugging the XML in and fixing plugins/widgets now. If I didn’t tell you, you wouldn’t know.
The reason the comments went down in the first place is because I get so much Spam that it crashes the comment database if I don’t clear it out every so often. Lesson learned!